Hi everyone, this post will help you understand the rules of Superlatives.
A superlative adjective expresses the extreme or highest degree of a quality. We use a superlative adjective to compare one member of a group of things, people or actions with the whole group.
Ex: Toronto is the biggest city in Canada.
Formation of Superlative Adjectives
To form the superlatives we have to follow some rules:
- One Syllable adjectives – add “-EST” to the adjective.
DEEP – DEEPEST – The Pacific is the deepest ocean in the world.
FAST – FASTEST – This car is the fastest I’ve ever driven!
- Adjectives ending in consonant + Y – change “Y” into “IEST”.
HAPPY – HAPPIEST – This is the happiest day of my life!
HEAVY – HEAVIEST – This machine is the heaviest in the factory.
- Long adjectives with 2 syllables or more – add “THE MOST” before the adjective.
INTELLIGENT – THE MOST INTELLIGENT – They are the most intelligent students in the class.
BEAUTIFUL – THE MOST BEAUTIFUL – She is the most beautiful girl I’ve dated.
* Irregular Superlatives
good – BEST
Bad – WORST
Far – FARTHEST or FURTHEST
* Spelling Rules
1) When the adjective ends in “-E”, we only add “ST”.
NICE – NICEST
2) When the adjective ends in CVC (consonant + vowel + consonant), we double the consonant.
BIG – BIGGEST
THIN – THINNEST
HOT – HOTTEST
If you would like to practice more, click here.